Finding Aids ~ Scanned Books ~ Newspapers
//COMMENTS? QUESTIONS? QUERIES?//
email : reference @ mcarthur.lib.me.us
phone : 207 – 284 – 4181
mail : Reference Department ~ 270 Main Street ~ Biddeford, Maine ~ 04005
McArthur Public Library has transcribed books of records (no originals!) available for research during our regular operating hours. You can view the list of these books below. If you are trying to locate OFFICIAL RECORDS or OFFICIAL COPIES, your contact will be determined by the year of the record you seek.
PRIOR TO 1892: BIDDEFORD HISTORICAL SOCIETY. BHS is the de facto repository for our town records. They are a volunteer run organization, and you will need to make an appointment. You can also mail your query to them at: PO Box 200, Biddeford, ME 04005.
1892-PRESENT: MAINE OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS. DHHS-Data, Records and Vital Statistics-Vital Records Unit
1892-PRESENT: CITY CLERK'S OFFICE. City of Biddeford - Birth, Marriage, Death records information
**IMPORTANT!! MAINE'S PRIVACY LAWS EFFECT YOUR ACCESS TO THESE KINDS OF RECORDS. FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS, PLEASE VISIT: <http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/public-health-systems/data-research/vital-records/vrfaq.html>**
Biddeford History In Print...
BIDDEFORD HISTORY BOOKS - NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE BY MAIL ORDER! "Images of America - BIDDEFORD" by Charles L. Butler ($20) and "A History and Stories of Biddeford" by Dane Yorke ($15) can now be ordered by mail. Just complete and mail the ORDER FORM to the library, and we'll do the rest. *AT THIS TIME WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT PAYMENT VIA CHECK OR MONEY ORDER FOR MAIL ORDERS. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE.*
If you are in the area, save yourself the shipping and buy the books upstairs at the Information Desk!The books will be available during all operating hours; the library can accept cash, check,or money orders.
La Justice : 1896-1950
Biddeford-Saco-Old Orchard Beach Courier : 1989-Present
- Biddeford-Saco's local daily/weekly (various names) 1877-present
York County Atlas : 1872
- Various maps of Biddeford and surrounding communities, 1795 - present.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps-Biddeford (Paper) : 1885, 1891, 1896, 1901, 1906, 1912, 1922
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps-Biddeford (Electronic, Library only) : 1885-1947
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps-OOB (Paper) : 1913
VITAL STATISTICS - BOOKS & LISTS NOT OFFICIAL CERTIFICATES! [LOOKING FOR OFFICIAL VITAL RECORDS?]
- Biddeford Vital Statistics Prior to 1856
- Biddeford Births : 1800-1891
- Baptisms at Notre Dame de Lourdes Parish, Saco : 1928-1985
- Births of St. Joseph's Parish, Biddeford : 1870-1887
- Biddeford Marriages : 1854-1891
- Marriages at St. Andre's Church, Biddeford : 1899-1995
- Marriages at St. Joseph's Church, Biddeford : 1870-1995
- Marriages at St. Mary's Church, Biddeford : 1850-1989
- Marriages at St. Margaret's Church, Old Orchard Beach : 1921-1985
- Biddeford Returns of Death : 1814-1898
- Obituary Indexes (Journal, Courier & La Justice newspapers) : 1884-Present
- York County Cemetery Inscriptions : 17th century-Present
- St. Joseph's (Biddeford) Cemetery Records : 1870-1990
- Biddeford Cemetery Records (Woodlawn, Greenwood, private & family lots) : 1700-1998
PUBLICATIONS & INDEXES
- Biddeford-Saco City Directories : 1849-1987
- Biddeford area phonebooks : 1942-Present
- York Deeds [York County, Maine] : 1640-1737
- U.S. Census [microfilm] : 1800-1930
- Biddeford public and private school yearbooks & literary magazines : 1899 - Present
We strive to accommodate full access to our materials at any time that we are open. However, we do have a number of unique and rare materials which require extra care by us as well as you. These materials include our image collections and out-of-print local items, and are stored in closed [not open to the public] stacks. We will be happy to retrieve these items for you, but will fill out a Call Slip when we do so...your cooperation in helping us care for and maintain our special materials is greatly appreciated!
*If you are handling very old or special materials we will provide you with a pair of gloves to wear while handling the objects.*